Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Today's Homework : Yourself

It may sounds a bit odd to hear as an adult - you have home work! Most of us thought that our studies ended once we walked across that stage - whether it was for our high school degree, Bachelor's, Master's or even your Doctorate. We cross that stage and think - Thank God! My days of studying are now over. I can cross that off the list! It is now one of things I NEVER have to worry about again. However, this is very far from the truth.

 There is a scene in "Shawshank Redemption" where Morgan Freeman states we have two choices:



This quote is incredibly true when it comes to personal development. You are simply progressing or digressing - one does not remain stagnant. If you are not making a conscious effort to better yourself, this means you are going to be surpassed by the individuals who are ready, willing and able to do the tasks which you are unwilling to do.

Think of all of the masterminds who came before us today. If you are blessed with the ability to read,then you have been given the gift of centuries upon centuries of knowledge at your finger tips. You simply need to establish the time to do so. After all, what is better than your own experience - other people's experience.

Now, I know what you're thinking. How am I suppose to do that? I don't even know what to read let alone when I'll find the time to read. I usually start by thinking of subjects which are of interest to me, or subjects which I know I am exceptionally weak in and would like to improve. Personally, I have always struggled with remembering things - which would explain why I tend to be weak in History. If you do not know where to start, my top 5 recommendations would be 
  1. The Traveler's Gift by Andy Andrews 
  2. Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill 
  3. The Secret by Rhonda Byrne 
  4. How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie 
  5. The Alchemist  by Paulo Coelho
Once you have a book, establish your homework time. Think about it- when you were in elementary school and high school you respected yourself enough to establish a specific time to devote to your studies (even if your parents forced you to). Some professionals state this is one of their tricks for success. They devote time each morning for personal growth.

Next, set a timer for 15 minutes - that is all! Once that timer goes off your homework is complete for the day. If you would like to do more, feel free, if not, go on to your next project. Imagine how many books and how much personal growth you would achieve with this one simple task.  The bigger point, is you are no longer digressing, you have joined the individuals who are progressing in life. 


No comments:

Post a Comment